The Knox
Presbyterian Church

cnr Main Road and Reeves St
Cheviot

Worship Times

1st Sunday 11am, 2nd Sunday 10am Cafe Church in the Hall, 3rd Sunday no Service, 4th Sunday 10am St John's Anglican Church

Church Based Activities

Occasional study groups.

 

The Parish Area

The district for the parish of Cheviot lies between the Conway river in the north and the Blyth Valley in the south. The small township of Cheviot, the centre for the district is situated on State Highway One midway between the Waiau river to the north and the Hurunui river to the south.

The Church is sited at the southern end of the village on the main road and provides a quiet stopping place for many visitors and tourists. It can seat 120 people.

A regular congregation of 12 to 22 members in the older age bracket. We have no Sunday School or Youth Group but support a district Youth movement and Religion in Life in the Cheviot Area School.The is one lay preacher and two organists and members are used to leading Services and managing many aspects of worship.

Interior Pics

Some Church History

Cheviot has a unique place in New Zealand history. Under European settlement it became a large estate owned by the Hon William Robinson. Many of the reserves and the Cheviot Hills Domain were planted with exotic trees and have become valued spaces in the district's life. The first Prebyterian services were taken by the Rev W Hoff in 1864 but it was not until 1898 that a Church was built in Cheviot on land donated by the Rev Campbell. A manse was built in 1901.

Over the intervening years Cheviot has been served by ordained full time ministers, home missionaries, interim moderators and retired ministers as well as dedicated lay preachers and members of the congregation.

The present church was opened in 1953, the Hall in 1966 after the old church, used as a hall, burnt down. Services were held in outlying areas as well as in Cheviot until 1962 but as roads and transport improved, families were able to travel into Cheviot to services.