St James
Presbyterian Church

Allendale Road, Hawarden

Worship Times

1st Sunday 9am, 2nd Sunday 10am combined with the Anglicans at Waikari, 3rd Sunday 10am at St. James’, 4th Sunday 10am combined with the Anglicans at Horsley Down.

Church Based Activities

Occasional Study Groups

The women of the Parish have catered for the Harwarden Ewe Fair for over 80 years, providing a cooked breakfast, morning tea and lunch for the drivers and stock agents.

The Parish Area

Waikari Parish is bounded by the Hurunui River to the north, the Waipara River in the south and from the moutains to the sea. It is predominantly an agricultural area with sheep and cattle, pigs, deer, cropping, forestry and a rapidly exapnding wine industry.

Although it is called the Waikari Parish it is now consolidated at St James Hawarden. The Church and Sunday School buildings are well maintained.

The Parish has 20 communicant members, however, 100 news letters are delivered to households within the Parish. Our Parish is small in number but has an active congregation and there is a great feeling of family amongst our members with a mixture of both township and country people.

Some Church History

In 1879 Prebyterians in the Waikari area approached the Christchurch Presbytery with the request that Presbyterian services be held in the area. The Rev C Fraser conducted services in the Waikari School house. The first church, St David's, was built in Waikari in 1885 although the newly formed Parish was unable to support a resident minister. Thus supply ministers conducted services until 1889 when the Rev J McKellar was inducted. Unfortunately he had to resign due to insufficient funds to pay his salary. In 1897, however, the situation had improved and the Rev D D Rogers accepted the call. He not only increased the area under his charge but also within a year was holding services at the Peaks, Masons Flat, Medbury, Hurunui and Waikari.

A new chruch was built a Horsley Downs in 1900, it was named St James. The Masons Flat congregation had previously met in the Masons Flat school room. As the village at Harwarden began to grow, it was proposed at the meeting in 1928 to move the church building to Hawarden. By February 1929 the St James Church Hawarden was established on its present site.